Michael – Just a short note to express my thanks and appreciation for all the assistance you and Albert have provided me with the management of my property in Saba.
As you know, pre-covid, we remodeled and effected major rebuilding of my home on Saba in anticipation of a sale of Sea View Cottage home, as I was not using the property due to time constraints; the home was just not being used. Both you and Albert made the time to assist and advise me with this project as I continue living off-island; this was a huge task.
Our plans changed with the COVID pandemic shutdown in the region; once again, with your assistance, we have pivoted and have made and executed a plan to rent the property until market conditions returned, making the prospect of a sale again a feasible plan.
Your assistance in preparing the home for rent, assisting with the everyday chores of yard cleaning, housekeeping, maintaining the property has been accomplished without thought or concern on your parts. Not an easy task during this pandemic, but we got it done.
Service, communication, and caring are obviously several of the planks of your business; your efforts are noticed and greatly appreciated. Your caring for your customers, assisting, and suggesting possible action plans clearly demonstrates your deep caring and commitment for your customers. Old fashion caring customer service is very much evident in Saba Island Properties creed and code.
(A scarce commodity in today’s business environment.)
Thank you for being a true partner and friend in assisting me with this project.
I wish you continued success and thanks.
Michael D. Cleaver – President & CEO – WINAIR.
We were hooked on Saba the first time we took a day trip to the island. The people on Saba and the fantastic sense of community, culture and conservation made us feel at home. This paradise captured our hearts and each time we returned, we became more and more convinced that we needed to establish a permanent presence on the island and share it with others.
Working with Saba Island Properties on this initiative was a great experience for us. Yes, selling real estate is a business, but Michael and Albert treated us as guests rather than customers. They took the time to hear our voices and listen to our dreams so that they could find us the perfect property.
Michael and Albert patiently guided us through many potential prospects and answered our countless questions along the way. The experience and knowledge base they possessed was obvious, yet the manner they worked respected the fact that this was not only a leap to a new home for us, but also a leap of faith to a system that was far different than what we were familiar with.
Working with Saba Island Properties gave us the confidence to realize our dream of land ownership in Saba. Michael and Albert are skilled professionals who know the island, know the industry, and know the right people to get things done.
Early on in our search, Michael and Albert identified a property that they believed was a great match for what we were after. They saw our vision, guided us along and supported us as we weighed our options. Ironically, eighteen months later, in the midst of a pandemic, their patience and quiet persistence paid off. Michael and Albert operate with compassion and sincerity and we look forward to working with them as this project continues.
Although Saba is free of Covid related restrictions, we found ourselves in self-imposed lockdown in the Haiku House – and loved every minute. We did plan to explore Saba but found this extraordinary property difficult to leave.
Haiku House is the perfect place to spend a peaceful holiday. It is spacious yet intimate. Secluded yet accessible. It is fully equipped with every amenity one could possibly need. It is bliss to be surrounded by sounds and sights of unspoiled nature in complete privacy. The pool deck and cocktail level are stunners, but our favorite activity was sinking into the couch in the morning to watch the everchanging view of the clouds over the mountain through the open doors.
We were familiar with Michael & Albert’s hospitality from a previous short stay. But, again, they exceeded our expectations. We arrived very early to meet Michael, who had stocked the refrigerator and pantry with delicious and refreshing essentials. He even helped my husband purchase a special surprise gift and dinner reservation for my birthday. There was no request they couldn’t fulfill.
We also had the pleasure of communicating with Caroline about our booking and visit. Although being many time zones away, Caroline was always responsive and helpful. She was extremely flexible and reassuring during these uncertain times.
Haiku House is the perfect antidote to the last year of unease. Looking forward to returning many more times.
“Waking up in the Haiku House is a dream…
The smell of fresh air infused with Saban oranges, ferns, and wild island flowers; the astonishing views of a turquoise ocean; and the quiet tranquil feeling that takes over. In all honesty, with all of our extensive traveling, nothing is quite as unique and exquisite as time spent at the pristine property.
We lived on Saba years ago. Queen Beatrice (Queen of Holland) would often come to visit the island and she would always stay at the Haiku House For us to have the chance to come back to this beautiful island and experience it as a tourist was nothing short of amazing. We always feel like it’s a rare opportunity to step back in time and enjoy “island time” and escape from our overscheduled routines once we step foot on “The Unspoiled Queen” island.
You will feel like a VIP here! From the time you book the property until the time you depart –
Michael & Albert – Saba Island Properties – go above and beyond to ensure the highest quality service. They were quick to accommodate our special requests furthering a prestigious experience. We are most impressed with their quick and detailed communication responses, reassuring us that everything was in place. I highly recommend that you treat yourself to this once in a lifetime type of vacation.”
Albert & Michael, you certainly had a big hand in us going from a daydream to a life plan [helping us find the right land on Saba to build our home]. You understand dreams yet see what is real — and making the connection is a rare talent that requires emotional intelligence as well as practical knowledge and hard work.
I for one am grateful for the work you guys do, and for making two new friends in the process!
Michael Feeley, A real estate agent on the tiny island of Saba, found the right people for
the right homes. (from the book – This Is Marketing by Seth Godin)
As co-owners of the Haiku House, we have had, once again, a dream vacation on Saba in the
Haiku House! We want to express our heartfelt gratitude to Michael & Albert for their excellent management services — which they have given to us for more than five years already. Whenever we stay in paradise on Saba it’s like living in a fairy-tale not only because of the spectacular Haiku House with its privacy and elegance but merely because of their all around services.
Indispensable is what they are. If you ask for great ambiance – top quality – unusual comfort and care… they deliver it all in one unique house.
Greg (retired attorney, TV news anchorman, assistant to a US Senator, entrepreneur) & Sue Marquise (retired entrepreneur including innkeeper with properties from 9-45 rooms – Whitehall Inn, Camden, Maine), Dad and Mom to four great kids, now living in St. Petersburg, Florida.
At one time, we owned a multi-office real estate brokerage in Maine, and, when we decided to sell one of our properties on Saba, the natural inclination for us was to try to sell it ourselves. That is, until we opened our eyes to a much better option, Saba Island Properties.
We have known Michael & Albert (M&A as they are known by many) since we arrived and fell in love with Saba about the same time as them. We knew the extensive skills they brought from prior pursuits, and we also knew the challenges they faced as “newbies”, trying to “up” the real estate game on an island. But, in a remarkably short period of time, they became the “go to” people for island real estate.
We are fussy. So, for us, there were lots of things, important to us in selling (or buying) a property anywhere, but perhaps even more important on Saba.
1. Understanding the market. Knowledge is power, as they say, and M&A are both deliberate and intelligent people, who quickly grasped all areas of the island and their differences. Saba is many different communities with varying climates. Saba is also just one island in a very large region of islands. A perspective of how Saba fits and compares is especially essential to someone considering a move here. M&A have it.
2. Experience. Michael’s varied background includes top-notch communication strengths that are important to any successful business. Albert’s design skills can stimulate a buyer’s vision but also can help a seller make a better presentation of their property. Both M&A have world class backgrounds that helped make their transition to their now highly successful five years as brokers on Saba. This has been more than helpful to us.
3. Vision. Saba is a novel place for most people, and you need to have vision not only for a new house, or even an existing house or building, but perhaps an overall vision of what a Saban lifestyle will be for you. Everyone has life experiences, but some people are better able to convey those experiences than others. Even before we listed our property, we regularly called on M&A to assist us with things they already had experienced, such as the residency process. M&A have lived around the world. They had a vision for themselves on Saba, their lifestyle, their local investments, how they would fit in, and even what their house would look like (and we had considered buying it before they did, and we could not envision the amazing transformation they made of it).
4. Engaging Personalities. Personalities, of course, are always subjective, but M&A became instant friends. Everyone we know on the island will say that M&A always have something interesting to say, are great listeners and are sincere, warm and sharing.
5. Connections. Perhaps it’s the engaging personalities, maybe their curiosity, but M&A quickly connected with local people. This connection to locals, expats, government officials, contractors, merchants and other business people is certainly key to their brokerage business and clients.
6. Detailed-oriented. We wanted someone who would get to know our property as if it were theirs; someone who could make the best case of why our house might make sense to others. M&A always made us feel like we were more than a listing; for example, they both climbed over numerous rocks and around spiny cactus, without any hesitation, on our steep property to understand our boundaries and our views.
7. Integrity.The most important qualities for a broker are honesty, integrity and fairness. For buyers AND sellers. We know first hand that this is the foundation of everything they have created with
Saba Island Properties.
8. Marketing. Take a look at their office in Windwardside; maybe a “showroom” is a more apt description. It says it all; a brilliant presentation, innovative and an easy way for properties to be displayed 24/7. And, innovation has been a hallmark of their brokerage. We weren’t sure what to think of listings that all contained statements from sellers as to why they loved the property they were selling. Our initial pause perhaps was never having seen such a thing. But, when it was our turn to talk about our property, we couldn’t wait to do it. M&A are re-writing the brokerage manual; it’s just unusual that they are doing it for such a small audience.
9. Caring & Communications. It also may be unusual to pair these two qualities. For many brokerage companies, you list with them and they may send you some requisite, almost pro-forma, updates on such things as a showing. They often view their job only as a broker who simply puts two parties together. It can be perfunctory, but it also can be a delicate balancing act. We have a general idea of what M&A each earned in their prior lives; we also know enough of the finances of real estate brokerages, that on Saba, we are sure M&A are doing this for the love of what they are doing and the love of people they are doing it for. Our experience with M&A is that when they talk to you or email you, they are writing to you as if you are family. They care about you, rather than just making a sale.
10. Results. Did we mention that M&A were tenacious AND successful in selling our property, generating two acceptable offers at the same time?
M&A far exceeded our expectations on ALL Ten.
Thank you for everything!!!
Working with Saba Island Properties is like creating a clone of your best self.
Albert & Michael aren’t the property managers that THINK they know what you want.
Instead they know EXACTLY what you want because they take the time to listen, ask questions,
get to know the property, and truly understand the details of your expectations and desire for your guests. They don’t take short cuts. With every rental booking they go the extra mile to ensure your guests are well managed and well taken care of. Their professionalism shines and
their commitment to our home – Cloudbreak Villa – is personal.
We are world travelers, spoiled, “saw-it-all” kind of persons. We decided to come to Saba for an emotional retreat. We took a job that was not important, but what we were looking for was –
luxury accommodations – nature – unusual experience – beauty – exotics – etc.
And we got it all.
We were so happy on Saba and very happy to have spent some time in the Champagne Cottage.
We saw this cottage on the internet and we called Albert & Michael – Saba Island Properties –
to ask about the place. I was so surprised by the great professional attitude, excellent language, amazing manners, high professionalism of Albert & Michael. They explained to us everything, booked the place and made our stay so comfortable! They took care of every need for us and we felt like we were at home.
The cottage itself is unbelievably beautiful, luxury, well kept. It can easily accommodate several people. Everything was amazing about our stay there – the house, the design, the furniture, linens.
Great kitchen, clean pool, amazing views of the sea and the mountains.
The nature was very unusual, windy, not hot, very comfortable – Local food was unusual and delicious. Great experience.
Saba is a small island, but it is really intoxicating! It was an unforgettable experience – one of a kind. We were really happy to live there and spend time on Saba, with Michael & Albert… amazing hosts.
We would strongly recommend Champagne Cottage for everybody who is looking for a new, unusual experience… emotional and spiritual retreat.